Athleisure is here to stay, and it’s undoubtedly one of the most loved fashion trends for people who are constantly on the go and need their clothes to keep up with them. The combination of style and comfort that this trend provides is what makes it so accessible and ideal for these individuals. Even if you’re pairing practical workout clothing with fashionable item pieces to create a dressed-down but chic look, you don’t need to be a professional athlete to rock the trend.
However, athleisure isn’t exactly easy to pull off. In fact, you can very easily go from modish to messy. If you’re planning to ease into this trend without committing a fashion faux pas, there are ways that you can go about it without looking sloppy in the end. Here are some timeless tips on rocking that athleisure look so you can look sporty yet stylish whether you’re heading to the gym or walking down the streets.
1. Strike a balance between fitted and loose pieces. Wearing an entire outfit out of loose clothing is extremely comfortable, but it may not always look appropriate for what you’re doing that day. You’ll look like you just rolled out of bed, which is far from what athleisure is all about. Balance the silhouettes of the clothes that you’re wearing so that your ensemble will look more put-together. As an example, you can wear a crop top and an oversized jacket and pair it with stylish denim leggings. Remembering this rule of thumb about contrasting fit and shapes will help you rock the athleisure look confidently.
2. Look for details that can work as a style statement. While other fashion trends put the spotlight on bold and loud, athleisure is about the details. If you’ve been looking for a reason to shop for more stylish athletic wear, this is it. Go for pieces that have that “X factor” to make your outfit shine so you can effortlessly take them from the gym to the streets or wherever you like. Get sports bras with interesting strap designs that you can show off or a pair of colorful socks that will go nicely with your favorite pair of sneakers. Either way, a statement piece will help bring your athleisure look together.
3. Create color cohesion. Having all your colors tie in somehow is a great way to elevate basic looks. You can go for complementary colors or supplementary colors for this fashion hack. With athleisure, you can go all monochrome but add a pop of color through an accessory piece or two. Some experts suggest sticking to two shades to look more sophisticated.
4. Pick flattering pieces. To pull off a sporty yet classy look, you’ll need to choose clothes that will look nice on you. Sometimes what looks good on a model or celebrity just won’t look flattering on you, and that’s okay. When you focus on enhancing your own assets, you’ll never run out of apparel that flatters your body type. And don’t forget to think about your skin tone, hair color, and makeup. Everything needs to come together to pull off that casual yet athletic look.
5. Combine sporty and sophisticated looks. Since athleisure is meant for both activewear and general use, you don’t always have to look like you came straight from the gym. Making some adjustments here and there can make your outfit more polished. Changing your footwear and putting on a jacket can already make a huge difference and refine your outfit.
6. Make more intentional choices with your pieces. Another good rule of thumb to follow for your athleisure look is to keep your clothing choices intentional. You don’t want to look like you just dressed up blindfolded, as there’s nothing stylish about being inappropriate. Make sure your athleisure look is still work-friendly, especially if it isn’t a casual Friday. Additionally, try to minimize your athletic wear if you’re attending a formal party. Keep your outfit perfect for the occasion while showcasing the relaxed and laid-back style that athleisure is widely known and loved for.
When it comes to nailing the athleisure trend, what you need is a combination of fresh-looking sporty clothes with different pieces here and there. This is far from that sweaty and soggy look that you often get from being straight out of the gym. By following these tips, you can have fun putting together an outfit that looks fresh and stylish!