Load boards are online matching systems that allow shippers or individual customers and freight brokers to post loads. These systems allow shippers and carriers to find each other and enter into agreements to move freight. Users of the specific load board pays a subscription fee to log into the load board to post loads or post empty trucks in order to either cover their freight or get their truck loaded. Some sites like Shiply offers free subscription. The load board facilitates communication between broker, shipper, and owner-operator or small carrier.
When load boards were introduced, thousands of hours of efficiency were gained by facilitating real-time connections between shippers and carriers. Load Boards are usually more than just a freight marketplace. Shiply’s load board, for example, provides users with accurate and robust data within the load board to better their experience when freight matching.
Here are the top 8 reasons why it is advantageous to use a load board:
1. User-friendly. Load boards typically display all the information you require in a simple, easy-to-use table.
2. Up-to-date. Load boards contain up-to-date information on freight loads. A delivery request gets posted by Shiply’s customers every 30 seconds, and if you are a delivery driver looking for shipments you can take advantage of Shiply’s load board by browsing and fulfilling jobs.
3. Low cost (or free). Many load boards are inexpensive or free to use. You don’t have to invest in a huge amount of money to use a load board.
4. Convenient. Shippers and carriers can access the load board wherever there is Internet access.
5. Benefits shippers. Using a load board will benefit shippers who are often caught in several difficult situations, which includes:
- Shipper has overflow freight that needs to be moved out fast.
- Shipper does not have a consistent group of carriers to choose from to move their freight.
6. Benefits carriers. Using a load board allows carriers to keep their trucks full. For example, a carrier may have delivered a load and now has an empty truck available for the returning trip. Instead of driving back with an empty truck or sitting idle, a carrier can use a load board to find a freight load that needs to be moved.
7. Easily accessible and with alerts. Many load boards are optimized for mobile use, so you can check it out on your phone while you are on-the-go. You can also set up alerts to be notified on-the-go so that you don’t have to browse through hundreds of posts per day.
8. Improve your earning potential. Freight brokers will have access to a network of drivers and that their routes are optimized according to the shipments that you have booked. And individual carriers will have access to a supply of job requests.
If you a small carrier, broker or shipper, one of the best platforms to find the best work is on a free load board like Shiply’s. If you are not yet using a load board, it may be something to consider if you are looking to grow your business and take it to the next level.