One of the most overlooked aspects of furnace ownership is maintenance. Changing the filters regularly and hiring a professional HVAC technician to come out and perform maintenance is essential. With this guide, home and business owners will learn why regular maintenance is so important and how it can save them money.
Why Is Furnace Maintenance So Important?
Furnace maintenance is essential for ensuring issues do not arise with the normal function of a furnace. When a furnace is operating smoothly, owners often overlook their systems. It is not until problems develop that they realize how truly important maintenance becomes. In addition to Furnace repair, homeowners can rely on HVAC professionals for their other heating and cooling maintenance needs.
Three Ways Furnace Maintenance Saves Homeowners Money
Taking care of a furnace is essential for its operation. From day one, a furnace needs to be maintained by the owner and professionals. The following are the top three reasons furnace maintenance will help homeowners save money.
1. Maintenance Increases Energy Efficiency
When homeowners have their furnaces maintained, they work more efficiently, which equates to savings on electricity costs. Clearing away dust and ensuring the moving parts are working together will help to ensure the unit heats efficiently. A clean system is able to handle air more effectively.
2. Maintenance Prevents Breakdowns
It can be highly stressful when a furnace breaks down in the middle of the winter. To prevent breakdowns, it is important homeowners seek regular maintenance for their furnaces. When an HVAC professional comes out to perform maintenance on a furnace, they check every part of the system. Minor problems can be found quickly before they cause major breakdowns and permanent damage.
3. Maintenance Prolongs the Life of a Furnace
Furnace maintenance also helps to protect and prolong the lifespan of a furnace. Furnaces last around 15-20 years before they need to be replaced. If a furnace is maintained properly, it is more likely to last the full lifespan. When a homeowner keeps their furnace maintained, they will not have to replace it as often.
What Is Involved in Furnace Maintenance?
Hiring HVAC professionals to come out and inspect and maintain a furnace is essential and should be carried out at least once a year. Ideally, these appointments should be scheduled in late summer, before the furnace will be turned on for the season. The following steps are involved in furnace maintenance.
· A full visual furnace inspection is carried out on the entire system. This inspection checks all the moving parts and ensures there is no visible damage.
· The technician will lubricate all the moving parts to ensure they are protected against wear and tear. Lubrication helps to reduce friction.
· A pilot and gas pressure evaluation is carried out during the maintenance appointment. This check is essential for the safe operation of the system.
· In addition to the above services, the technician will also do a filter change. Filters should be changed regularly to ensure airflow is normal in the furnace.
· The technician will give a written report on the findings from the inspection. Homeowners will learn if there are any repair issues that need to be addressed.
Relying on Professional HVAC Technicians Is Important
While homeowners can change their furnace filters and keep a check on their systems, all other types of maintenance should be carried out by professionals. Scheduling a furnace maintenance appointment once a year will protect a homeowner’s investment and ensure their home is warm and cozy during the colder months of the year.