We all have issues with our teeth at some point in our lives. Some people may even have issues more frequently than others due to lack of correct care for their teeth and gums. Things such as drinking sugary and fizzy drinks (even fizzy/sparkling water) can have a negative impact on your teeth.
You will need root canal treatment on your tooth when the soft tissue inside the root canal of your tooth becomes inflamed or infected. Infection and inflammation is caused by a variety of things, including (but not limited to):
- Deep decay
- Repeated dental procedures on the tooth
- A crack or chip in the tooth
If pain from inflammation or infection is ignored and the conditions are not treated, more pain will endure and it could lead to an abscess.
Signs you may need root canal treatment
To help get treatment as quick as possible, look out for these signs. If you have any of the following symptoms, get in touch with your dentist right away and book an appointment.
- Pain (individual teeth or in the gums)
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold (food and drink as well as cold and hot air)
- Tooth/teeth that are tender to the touch or cause pain when pressure is applied whilst chewing
- Swelling, drainage and tender lymph nodes and nearby bone and gum tissue
There aren’t always symptoms for root canal issues, so have frequent and thorough regular check-ups from your dentist will help you stay on top of your oral hygiene.