Fashion, Lifestyle & Parenting Blog

Treating Macular Degeneration with Acupuncture

If your eyesight is failing fast and you can hardly recognize faces and other familiar objects, or you can’t read, drive, and perform other basic daily chores, you might be suffering from a condition called macular degeneration. You might have visited scores of medical centers and all you hear is “Sorry, there is nothing we can do”. Well, maybe a Castle Rock macular degeneration healer is the answer to your problem.

Soul Potential Acupuncture & Wellness in Castle Rock, CO, is a place where patients have found relief from pain and despair with innovative acupuncture eye therapy based on traditional Chinese medicine; one of the most effective natural treatments available today.

The center, boasting a highly trained acupuncturist and traditional Chinese medicine specialist, employs acupuncture therapy to treat a host of conditions, including women’s health issues, emotional challenges, respiratory conditions, pain challenges, and others.

What is Macular Degeneration?

Macular degeneration is an age-related medical condition that may cause blurred vision, distorted vision, or difficulty seeing in low light. This condition is triggered by the wearing away of the macula, which is part of the retina that controls visual acuity.

Macular degeneration occurs in older people and it’s suspected that genetic factors and smoking may play a role in its development. If diagnosed early it can be treated effectively.

In the early stages of the condition, there are often no symptoms but gradually some people experience poor vision in one or both eyes. Loss of central vision may make it difficult for the sufferer to recognize faces, read, or perform other daily activities and visual hallucinations may occur.

Recent treatment of acupuncture points with the use of microcurrent stimulation has shown promising results in stopping and reversing the effects of macular degeneration.


Acupuncture, a key component of Chinese medicine, is a form of alternative treatment that has been gaining currency the world over, in recent times. It’s a treatment that involves inserting thin needles into the body of the patient. Although it’s used most commonly to relieve pain, it has also been used to treat a wide range of ailments and conditions.

How it Works

The inserted needles stimulate nerve-rich areas of the skin surface to influence various functions of the body. It’s believed that this action stimulates the immune system, boosting the self-healing properties of the body.

Traditional Chinese Philosophy

The Chinese philosophy behind acupuncture explains that health is the result of a harmonious balance of the complementary extremes of “yin” and “yang” of the life force known as “qi,” pronounced as “chi.” Illness is said to be caused by an imbalance of these two forces.

According to experts, Qi flows throughout the body and is accessible through over 300 acupuncture points. Inserting needles into these specific points with appropriate combinations is said to restore the energy balance.

Micro Acupuncture

Micro Acupuncture is a relatively new acupuncture system involving 48 acupuncture points situated in the hands and feet. These points, which directly stimulate the eyes, are not generally associated with any other acupuncture system. It’s used to treat a variety of conditions including macular degeneration, retinitis pigmentosa, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, Usher’s syndrome, optic nerve atrophy, and other eye conditions. Some patients will notice a marked improvement in eyesight after a few days, while others require repeated treatment. 90% of the people who have had Micro Acupuncture treatment say that the procedure had a positive impact on their eyesight. The other 10% had not experienced any marked improvement but had halted the progression of the condition.